Monday 28 January 2013

Sleeping like a Scandinavian babe


 Oh goodness, what a cheeky face.  Such cuteness brightens any dreary, wintry day.

So far, January has been a sick sick sick month for me.
I've caught some wicked viruses the past few weeks, and I've tried anything and everything to heal.  Lots of herbal teas, honey, vitamin C, and the usual over-the-counter cold and flu medicines.
I've also slept with my window WIDE OPEN.   Brrrrr!
Yes, it makes for a very chilly bedroom this time of year.
And of course, it means sleeping with a snug toque, my favorite polar fleece, and the warmest duvet and blankets I can find.  But it feels so good!  There's nothing quite like a constant breeze of the freshest air to whisk away germs, and revitalize the lungs.  I'm basically sleeping like a Scandinavian baby.

Have you heard that before?  It is very common for babies in parts of Finland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, and Denmark to take their naps, outdoors, cozily tucked into their prams.  Joanna Goddard from Cup of Jo, wrote the most interesting post on parents in Denmark who even leave their babes sleeping in prams outside of cafes, shops and restaurants.  Read it here!

 
When we were just babes, my Finnish-born Mamma regularly left myself and my sisters to nap in our strollers outside on the veranda.  She insists that we got the best, deepest sleep that way.  And when I was a girl, I loved to drag pillows and blankets out to the hammock hanging from trees in our back garden, and fall asleep swaying under a crisp, afternoon sky.


This bed right here looks amazing.  What dreamy sleep.

Will you be sleeping like a Scandinavian babe any time soon?

“Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.”

Walt Whitman

 
{Image 1, 2 and 3 by Jenny Brandt for Cup of Jo, and image 5}

3 comments:

  1. I love this post!! I sleep with my window open year round and never get the same sound sleep if I forget to pop it open before I hit the sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right??? All the better for snuggling under the covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt knew what he was talking about ;)

    ReplyDelete