Thursday 21 February 2013

Butt Naked


Mhmm.  Let's talk nudity.

I'm not just talking about getting naked when you're alone about to hop into the shower, or when you're dancing around an empty home in nothing but socks.

Nope. I'm talking about naked saunas {SOW-NA}.
Being raised by a Finnish mama, saunas were a regular part of life.  Myself and each of my sisters had our first saunas just weeks after being born.  From then on, whenever we visited my Finnish grandmother's house, we more than likely ended up in the sauna.

 

The part that seems to make absolutely everbody giggle, squirm or exclaim, is the part where we tell them that we all sauna together, all us womenfolk at least. :)

Yup, ever since we were wee babes, my sisters and I have sat naked in the sauna with my grandmother, mother, aunts, and cousins.  That's a lot of nudity. 

But it's also just the way it has always been.  Part of sauna culture, Finnish culture.
Practical, direct, and shameless.

And ironically enough, despite the intensely reserved and quiet reputation Finns have, saunas have always been and continue to be social spaces.  It is here, where reservations or hestitations are put aside.  The heat is too thick and the steam too encompassing for self-consciousness.

My mama and I stumbled across this documentary, Steam of Life {Miesten Vuoro}, a while ago now.
This masterpiece explains the significance of the sauna far better than I ever could, have a look. :)
 


Would you get naked for a sauna???

I promise, it is bliss.


{Image 1 & 2, image 3, image 4, and 5}

2 comments:

  1. I believe you - it sounds like bliss! I am totally in love with the idea of nude sauna - embracing my womanhood it all it's majesty {lol} and plunging into a a steam bath that hugs every curve. Who could say no to that?! In my opinion, it sounds like a liberating and relaxing social experience enrobed in detoxification. I can hear my pores purring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love steam rooms/ saunas! In Iceland they are a huge part of our culture as well, although we don't go naked! Awesome post!!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete